Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday afternoon hooker

Being a Sunday afternoon hooker (thanks to Katie Thistle for that snappy title!) was what I wanted to be telling you about ... there was a beginner's crochet class at the local craft shop and I turned up hoping to take the class.

But I got there to discover an almost full shop! i was a little annoyed because I was running 10 mins late and there was one space for somebody who hadn't turned up yet ... but they didn't suggest I wait and see if she did show or not ... Maybe I imagined it but I did feel there was a trace of "how would I show a blind person how to crochet?" in her voice, which is what really disappointed me ... especially as I bought a crochet hook and thread there a month-or-so ago ... maybe she didn't think that but sometimes you just get that kind of feeling ... the same one you get at a job interview and you just know by the way they ask the questions that they're just going through the motions and you aren't really in with a chance at the job, pfffft.

But in news of the more fun kind ... I won another giveaway at the 2nd anniversary edition of the Talkin' Tuesdays witter chat ... I won a scrap pack of what I think is organic fabric ... it's by Jan DiCintio who designs and produces organic fabrics in Reading, PA. I will take photos as soon as it arrives :)

... In other news, I have had a pair of insoles made by the hospital ... apparently I have very high arches ... the insoles have a metatarsal bar across the middle ... personally I think that's a fine name for a bar ... can't you just imagine wearing a t-shirt to your next sewing retreat saying "I got drunk at the metatarsal Bar!"

And finally, by next time I post there's a very good chance I'll have entered quite a high-profile poetry competition. You submit a booklet of poems and from that they shortlist 4 poets who get invited to submit a book-length set ... the winner of that gets published (the competition is in association with WH Smiths, which for US readers is a UK national chain of newsagents and book seller) ... the competition judge is Simon Armitage ... so keep your fingers crossed for me! :)

7 comments:

  1. I would never ever go in that store ever again. They stink! That shopkeeper really sucks!! Good luck with your poetry competition. And you are such a tart winning twice! I might have won if I would have remembered to just turn up. This week I will remember. Were the prizes really great last week? A girl needs to know you know. Just asking is all if you can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe she did think that, maybe she'd have been a really clueless crap teacher to someone blind! Maybe you should try just once more though, speak to her and ask her if she could teach you. It might just have been nerves and lack of confidence on her part - or she might have known the final class member was on her way! I wouldn't give up just yet.
    And well done you on the winnings :-) good luck for the poetry comp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it could be really fun teaching someone with visual impairment to crochet. I cannot see any good reason not to, After all, you manage all sort of other tasks! She just wasn't up to the challenge!

    And with high arches, you clearly should do ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, damn, and it too me whole seconds to come up with that title too! Maybe you can find another, more willing volunteer to teach you instead.

    I'm envisaging the metatarsal bar as being some kind of jazz location (possibly because I can now just heard in the back of my head some 50's song about Smokey Joe's Cafe and it kind of scans the same way ;o) )

    Good luck with the comp, hopefully the TT win means you're on a roll :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Sarah...give that teacher another chance. Maybe she was having a crap day! There is a good chance that you both were making really big assumptions about the other and just need to clear the air. Be direct (as I am sure you are capable). I can't wait to hear how you do with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you find out the guidelines, then? I hope so. It will make an entry a lot easier! =) I know my first reaction would be to find a new yarn store, but maybe give it one more shot before doing that? Next time, maybe sign up in advance?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my fingers firmly crossed! (sorry, probably really inappropriate use of an exclamation mark)

    ReplyDelete